Recipe Testing by Alice Heitchue
October is all about fun and this month’s featured recipe is no exception! Our Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins are filled with cozy fall flavors for a fraction of the calories. They bake up moist, fluffy, and full of pumpkin goodness. Wow family and friends with this fall treat at your next event or open house. They will never know it is a low calorie option. Enjoy!
What You’ll Need
· 1 cup whole wheat flour
· 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
· 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup pumpkin puree
· 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
· 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
· 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
· 1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 egg
· 1 cup milk chocolate morsels with peanut butter filling
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 12 count muffin pan or line with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, applesauce, Greek yogurt, and egg. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until muffins are set and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Enjoy!
Recipe Courtesy of Pumkin’NSpice.com