With summer officially upon us, slice up the first of her bounty, with garden fresh tomatoes. Pick pungent basil right off the plant and with garlic and oil make the most flavorful pesto. Our summer-inspired recipe requires only 5 ingredients and a few pantry staples giving you a fantastic summer dish without all of the fuss. From backyard gardens to our local farmer’s markets, tomatoes and these fresh ingredients are in abundance and this is a great way to create a fresh twist on a crowd favorite.
What You’ll Need
· 12 ounces refrigerated fresh pizza dough
· ½ cup fresh basil leaves
· 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
· 3 garlic cloves
· 1 tablespoon water
· 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
· 2 (6-ounce) heirloom tomatoes, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
· ½ teaspoon kosher salt
· ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Allow the dough to rest at room temperature before rolling it out. If it still shrinks back when you start to work with the dough, let it rest for another 10 minutes, and then try again.
2. Place a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in the oven. Preheat oven to 500° (keep pizza stone or baking sheet in oven as it preheats).
3. Place basil, 1 tablespoon oil, and garlic in a mini food processor; pulse 3 times to form a paste. Add 1 tablespoon water; pulse until smooth.
4. Roll dough into a 14-ich circle on a floured surface; pierce entire surface liberally with a fork. Carefully remove pizza stone from oven. Arrange dough on pizza stone. Brush remaining 1 tablespoon oil over dough. Top evenly with cheese and tomatoes. Bake at 500° for 11 minutes or until crust is browned and crisp. Drizzle basil mixture over pizza; sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Cut into 12 slices.
For a pretty finishing touch, save a few small bail leaves to sprinkle over the top after it cooks.
Hands-on: 22 minutes Total: 55 minutes
SERVES 6 (serving size: 2 slices)
CALORIES 372; FAT 15.1g (sat 4.9g, mono 5.9g, poly 1.2g)
PROTEIN 13.3g CARBS 43.8g FIBER 7.3g CHOL 23mg;
IRON 1.6mg; SODIUM 626mg; CALC 23mg